Monday 22 August 2011

Help! I need somebody ....

The unfamiliar tasks of first time mothering are overwhelming. The responsibility of motherhood can be crushing, and the hours of the day take on a new slow meaning. My friends used to call this 'clock watching' and the anxiety can be debilitating. I recall fumbling through my dispensary after my first child trying to remember which flower essence matched my feelings, which herbs were going to soothe my racing mind, what minerals my aching breasts might need? We have this tendency to think motherhood (especially first-time) mirrors a Huggies commercial, laying around on the couch, tousled hair, at ease and craddling a calm, happy (sleeping) baby. Well of course this can be the case from time to time, but  mostly it is not! Birth is an intense physical and emotional journey and the first few months of mothering is a time of incredible healing. Be gentle with yourself!

0 comments:

Post a Comment