Tuesday 20 March 2012

Imperfect Meditation

As my children busily constructed duplo towers and batman farm yards I found myself sitting on the floor of my son's room. No doubt I had been picking up toys or some uneaten scraps but as I sat there I caught myself feeling relaxed listening to their playful banter. I had stopped, and I was enjoying the moment; even though I was not with them, I was listening within their moment, and not using the usual peripheral hearing I do around the house as I busy myself with chores. As I sat there in that moment, I noticed my posture, my self and my breath. All the old recessed teachings of Meditation came to me. I wasn't sitting on my meditation cushion, I hadn't meditated in a while, and my children were noisy - though happy. Would I dare use this moment for myself? Of course. I had created it.
So drawing in a long breath I gave myself the permission to meditate right there and then. Imperfectly but still. It wasn't going to be for long, or anything like the meditations I once indulged in, but as a parent you have to use what moments you can. Meditation is medicine for the mind and one of the most important nutrients for the soul. There are many ways to meditate, but being in the moment, connecting to your breath, and being still is all that is required. I can do that, and I did! It wasn't long before my children found me and launched themselves into my resting lap.
 Those quiet and mindful moments were enough to ground me, and the effects have a flow on effect. Calmer mumma = calmer kids. A good practice for children is to use some guided meditation as they lay in their beds at night before sleep. What was their favourite thing that happened today? I always ask my children to think of happy things as they go to sleep. My eldest son answers "like rainbows, fruit bats, spaceships and speed boats".
Yes....exactly! I reply.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I would love to read more on the topic of calming kids down...I know you have a lot of advice re nutrition and behaviour. From the mother of a 4 year old with a very 'busy' mind! xx

    ReplyDelete