Monday 19 September 2011

Me?..ditation

I have just attended a meditation course, and as I was sitting there in freakishly quiet surroundings with my very busy mind, I decided to write a blog about it! Not exactly the purpose of the meditation, but I have a long history with meditating and since having children, I have used the excuse that I am too busy to find the time to meditate. Sound familiar?
Meditation seems the polar opposite of busy parenting. Too busy, too tired, too hungry, too noisy. All the while our mental state can be anxious, stressed, depressed, and irritable.
Before children, I used to meditate in a quiet room, with no distractions, generating focus and commitment easily. I had plenty of time to relate the benefits to my everyday life. It was a lovely place to be. I want more of that, but how to achieve it when my only true breaks through the day are toilet breaks?
The truth is that meditating in perfect situations is improbable, but that doesn't mean that I can not find ways to connect to my breath and be still, or find moments and things to meditate on. Simple tea drinking meditations, walking meditations, a quiet 5 minutes sitting on the grass breathing deeply and consciously while the kids are playing are probable ways for me to meditate in that moment. If meditation brings about happiness from within, peace and compassion, that is wellness for me, for my children and my family. More on meditation to come ....

0 comments:

Post a Comment