Wednesday 4 July 2012

5 things I can't live without.....winter edition!

I love to read the final page in the Sunday magazine where somebody (usually famous) lists their favourite things. I have always wanted to do a column like it, and it occurred to me today that I could. Excuse my self indulgence. In winter, these are the things I cannot live without. They are part of my day-to-day and my wellbeing; certainly part of my big picture!

Chai spice tea with extra Cardamon

I brew my chai on the stove top with extra Cardamon pods and Rooibos tea instead of Black tea. It is my gift to my self after a long day, warming my digestion and soothing my busy soul. I brew it on Bonsoy (soya milk) and I add a titch of coconut syrup if I need a little sweet kick! Chai - you are my friend!



My iPod

I have a long standing love of music and I love to exercise. Studies show that listening to music whilst you exercise can improve cognitive function, mood and physical performance. Nothing makes me feel better than running to the rhythm of some funky beats by the open water. It is my way of connecting my physical body to the outside world!






Seaweed

I love seaweed and add it to just about everything I can. Dulse flakes, Arame, Roasted Nori. I love an organic poached egg in the morning sprinkled with Dulse Flakes, and have you tried Pumpkin/Beetroot soup with ginger and Dulse Flakes? Amazing! My latest gig is to make Khorasan (Kamut) Bread with Arame.




Journaling

I am a long time journaler. I write on scraps of paper, envelopes, drink coasters and when I can in my actual journals. Not everything I write is full of inspiration and paper daisies. Often it is a thought, expressed in a flurry of feelings. I journal holidays and special occasions so my children can reflect on these experiences through my eyes. It is a way that I remain connected to my inner self. When my outer self is too busy living!  



Lip balm

I can experience deep panic if my lips are dry! True. I am hardly ever without some variety of lip balm in my pocket, bag, car or office desk drawer. And as long as it is natural, I will use it. No colour or bajangles - I believe if you are healthy, your lips shine and are full of colour. A smackeral of balm is all a gal needs!




0 comments:

Post a Comment