Monday 10 October 2011

Pioneer or Passenger?

I recently and quite deliberately ran down any snack or packaged foods from my pantry and cupboards. I generally do not buy these types of foods, but there are some on-the-run foods that make life a little easier. The marketing monster had obviously influenced me more than I was willing to admit, as every time I went to the cupboard to grab a snack I was looking for the rice crisps, dried fruit straps, or fruit free muesli bars. Quick here you go kind of eats!
A couple of weeks down the track of this I am happy to be free of this convenience cycle. My children are not looking for snack foods, and seem to be naturally more interested in vegetable, salad and fruit meals. Their dinners are more appealing and I believe this is because they can actually taste their food! In the same way that when we go on a diet or make changes to our diet, one of the first remarks I hear is " I can taste again, food tastes different, and good". Children are no different. Try to give a child who eats a high salt and sugar diet some beans or raw vegetables as a snack, and they will be quick to protest. Children deserve the right to a childhood, and I am not a purist. I have had to make a choice of either being a pioneer of health or a food passenger. Mother's make perfect pioneers. We are naturals at it! Mother's ultimately steer the ship of health and food habits in the house. So what are you? Pioneer or Passenger?

Roast Pumpkin and Goats Feta Quick Quiche 
Roast your Pumpkin with Olive oil and Celtic sea salt and pepper till it is golden & soft
Let cool before adding to Quiche mix
 4-5 Free range eggs
4 generous tbsp of Flour (I use Organic stone ground SR flour, but you can substitute Spelt, Besan, or Coconut flour)
a Good Splash of Olive oil
1 Tbsp of Butter melted
2/3 cup of soy/rice milk
Whisk briskly till eggs are light and lump free

(I like to leave this mix aside for several minutes for the flour to rest, I find leaving it aside for several minutes allows the dish to cook better)

Pour Quiche mix into greased baking dish, add roasted pumpkin and sprinkle over Goat's feta (I used about 1/3 pack) and add some freshly cut Parsley or Coriander or Basil
Cook at medium to high heat till golden brown on top (usually 30 minutes)
Serve with a Roquette or baby spinach green salad with your own Salad dressing using apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, fresh lemon or lime!

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment